Location: Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Company: MarshJob ID R_039661-en Apply
The Business Analyst is responsible for a full range of activities including both QA and UAT which ensure the operational effectiveness and excellence of the business unit. The Business Analyst will track and analyze business unit trends and make appropriate recommendations that will positively impact the unit. The Business Analyst will also act as Project Manager for small sized projects as necessary. The Business Analyst will be the functional expert on the specified application(s) as liaison between the business unit and Information Technology.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Provides an understanding of existing procedures, policies, practices and products and renders insights to the project team regarding future state needs, requirements and impacts.
- Work closely with the Business Unit leaders and Subject Matter Experts (SME) by providing key analytical support that will allow business needs and requirements to be understood, defined and documented at a level that will enable business and technical systems to be effectively developed, deployed and supported.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis.
- Responsible for the Business Requirements Definition process.
- Understands business and technology environments, application and process capabilities.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artifacts as needed: (Business Requirements Document, Use Cases, GUI Design and Process Flows)
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams.
- Participates in Steering Committee and Business process analysis.
- Develops User Acceptance Testing (UAT) Test Plans and coordinates and participates in UAT process as well as supporting the QA process as needed.
- Coordinates groups of business personnel who test, evaluate and validate new functions and applications, and identify issues in software or services.
- Ensures that all items follow the change management process and are entered and tracked through the change management software.
- Obtains final signoff from the business sponsor to release code to production.
- Participates in smoke testing in release process.
- Ensures issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner.
- Communicates needed changes discovered in UAT to Project Manager and development team.
- Owns the development and management of project scope, cost and schedule.
- Owns the front to back process to implement approved and defined projects.
- Provides the day-to-day planning, management and project control.
- Project Manager provides leadership, supports the required review activities, and regularly reports project progress and status.
- Coordinates interactions with the impacted and involved business, management and technical areas and keeps the Project Team on target and focused.
- Provides Tier 2 Application Production support by managing specific application quality assurance and help desk activities including the tracking of bug reports and change requests, ensuring their timely resolution.
- Maintain knowledge of and support ICAT’s company values and strategic plan
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- BA degree in business or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in the Insurance Industry is a must. Exposure to Claims preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in business analysis including project management, client consulting, and quality assurance.
- Proven business analyst, project management and leadership skills.
- Proven communication skills (written and verbal) in working with management, clients and technological experts.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proven ability to develop, document and maintain operational policies and procedures, including the designing and documenting detailed process flows.
- Solid understanding of existing and emerging industry practices, and ability to evaluate alternative business solutions.
- Understanding of application programming, database and system designs, systems and application interfacing and Agile, RUP and Waterfall development methodology preferred.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of e-mail/scheduling software applications.
- Experience with web-based underwriting systems.
- Knowledge of MS Project a plus.
Founded in 1998 and based in Broomfield, Colorado, ICAT is a leading provider of property insurance protection to homeowners and businesses located in hurricane- and earthquake-exposed regions of the United States. ICAT draws from highly specialized underwriting expertise and advanced technology tools to offer brokers and their clients market-leading catastrophe coverage. Along with its subsidiary, Boulder Claims, ICAT’s inherent promise to policyholders is to assist people and businesses as they recover from disasters. ICAT programs currently protect over 85,000 homeowners and business owners in catastrophe-exposed regions of the US.