Underwriting Operations Lead - ICAT
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
Company: MarshJob ID BRO0000A Apply
The Underwriting Operations Lead supports team workflow at the Lead authority level and provides leadership and direction to an assigned sub-group of Underwriting Service Managers (USMs) or Underwriting Assistants (UAs), including workflow tracking, proactive identification and resolution of issues that impact workflow or customer service, and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements. The Lead provides day-to-day direction and support to the overall team. The Lead works closely with the Supervisor, Underwriting Operations, the Manager Underwriting Operations, training resources and other ICAT business partners to address personnel and production issues.
The Lead contributes directly to the team’s workflow as assigned by the Supervisor, including complex transactions, renewal quoting and underwriter support (MMBU), referrals within authority, inspection reviews, and backing up critical functions such as website, chat and phones (PBU).
- Assists supervisor in planning and executing workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements, ensuring that team and company performance objectives are consistently met.
- Provides supervisor with data used in status and variance reports on underwriting services workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements and ICAT’s Service Standards.
- Works collaboratively within the team and with other teams to proactively identify and resolve issues that impact workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements.
- Leads the team through changes and new initiatives.
Leadership and Supervision
- Manages an assigned group of employees, including hiring,training, planning, assigning and directing work, coaching, performance appraisals, and performance management.
- Provides support to ensure team understanding of ICAT and UW Operations business objectives, to maintain a positive work environment and a high level of morale.
- Assists in onboarding of new team members to ensure an adequate level of understanding regarding the company’s guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Ensures that individual and team performance meets ICAT’s standards of service, productivity and quality.
- Maintains an effective, aligned working relationship with Regional Vice Presidents, Vice President Commercial Underwriting, Product and Underwriting Managers; works collaboratively with all ICAT personnel, business partners, and vendors.
- Provides technical guidance and direction as needed.
- Provides effective guidance to ensure team understanding of ICAT and UW Operations business objectives, to maintain a positive work environment and a high level of morale.
- Develops supportive relationships with team members, and encourages team and inter-departmental cooperation and support.
- Leads are responsible for referrals and for underwriting and pricing accounts in accordance with ICAT’s Underwriting Guidelines, personal underwriting authority level, and ICAT’s General Agency Agreements.
- Develops and maintains producer relationships. Educates producers about ICAT’s products and services—sells one ICAT.
- Acts as a workflow resource as assigned to ensure business continuity during peak periods and/or when team members are unavailable.
Underwriting Policy and Procedure
- Understands and adheres to ICAT’s underwriting processing, underwriting guidelines and underwriting file documentation.
- Understands and utilizes the functionality of all underwriting systems.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of technical underwriting principles and risk underwriting characteristics.
- Acts as a Subject Matter Expert in defining policy and procedural requirements, as assigned.
- Has a leadership role in supporting process changes across functional areas and ensuring continuity.
Employee Training and Development
- Provides input and assistance in the development and maintenance of Underwriting Operations procedures and training materials.
- Coordinates and/or conducts on the job training for assigned team members.
- Together with training resources, establishes training plans and training schedules for new and existing employees.
- Maintains records and scheduling of ICATU courses for all assigned team members.
- Together with assigned team members, develops action plans supporting each individual’s career path.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2 to 4 years’ experience in an Underwriting Assistant or Underwriting Services Manager capacity, or related insurance, technical and/or customer service role.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in insurance, business, or related field preferred, or equivalent work experience.
Licenses or Designations:
- None required. CPCU, CIC, AU preferred.
At ICAT, we have a single goal: help business owners and homeowners recover from a disaster.
Since 1998, ICAT has provided catastrophe insurance coverage to home and business owners throughout the United States. From day one through today, we remain a highly specialized, disciplined underwriter of catastrophe property insurance risk.
ICAT has over 200 employees and serves more than 65,000 customers in 42 states through its online quoting system, www.icat.com