Underwriting Operations Supervisor - ICAT
Location: Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Company: MarshJob ID R_052901-en Apply
The Underwriting Operations Supervisor/Analyst is a combined position that provides leadership and direction to a group of Underwriting Assistants (UAs) and is also responsible for a range of activities which ensure the operational effectiveness of Underwriting Operations.
The Supervisor/Analyst is responsible for workflow planning and reporting, proactive identification and resolution of issues that impact workflow or customer service, administration of the Quality Management Plan, and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements. In addition, the Supervisor/Analyst is responsible for evaluating processes, content, functional systems, and reporting, and developing improvements and innovations to meet business needs.
- Provides guidance and direction to the team in planning and executing workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements, ensuring that team and company performance objectives are consistently met.
- Provides status and variance reports on workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements and ICAT’s Service Standards.
- Works collaboratively within the team and with other teams to proactively identify and resolve issues that impact workflow, customer service and the fulfillment of underwriting policy and procedural requirements.
- Responsible for internal and external audit responses.
- Responsible for leading the team through changes and new initiatives.
- Leadership and Development
- Hires, coaches and develops direct reports; appraises performance; and implements performance management strategies as needed.
- Provides career development opportunities for key employees.
- Provides effective guidance to ensure team understanding of ICAT and UW Operations business objectives, to maintain a positive work environment.
- Conducts onboarding of new team members to ensure understanding of ICAT’s guidelines, policies and procedures. Together with training resources, establishes training plans and schedules for new and existing employees.
- Understands and adheres to ICAT’s underwriting procedures, underwriting guidelines and underwriting file documentation.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of technical underwriting principles and risk underwriting characteristics.
- Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts,
decomposes high-level information into details, abstracts up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Evaluates methods of tracking, evaluating and reporting on results and KPIs and develops improved tools or facilitates changes to existing tools and reports.
- Works closely with Business Unit leaders, Subject Matter Experts (SME) and the PMO,
providing key analytical support for business needs and requirements to be understood,
defined and documented, enabling business and technical systems to be effectively
developed, deployed and supported.
- Understands supporting technology environments, application and process capabilities.
- Proactively communicates and collaborates with Underwriting and UW Operations to analyze needs and requirements.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Senior Manager, Underwriting Operations and manages a team of nonexempt personnel.
- Understanding of Analysis and Reporting
- Business Planning and Management
- Strong Communication and Presentation
- Champion for Change
- Customer Focus and Relationship Building
- Ability to influence
- Information and Technology Proficiency
- Strong Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Technical Industry and/or Professional Experience
- 1-3 years of experience in direct or indirect management of people
- 3+ years of operations experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- BA degree in insurance, business or related field preferred
- Coursework or designations including AU, AINS or CPCU desired
Founded in 1998 and based in Broomfield, Colorado, ICAT is a leading provider of property insurance protection to homeowners and businesses located in hurricane- and earthquake-exposed regions of the United States. ICAT draws from highly specialized underwriting expertise and advanced technology tools to offer brokers and their clients market-leading catastrophe coverage. Along with its subsidiary, Boulder Claims, ICAT’s inherent promise to policyholders is to assist people and businesses as they recover from disasters. ICAT programs currently protect over 85,000 homeowners and business owners in catastrophe-exposed regions of the US.