Location: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, United States
Company: Marsh & McLennan AgencyJob ID R_058675-en Apply
The primary role of the Underwriter is to work with the Account Teams on assigned cases, providing financial analysis and utilizing modeling tools to evaluate benefit programs and their impact on overall business objectives, including the management and control of client risks and losses.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Perform underwriting, financial, and risk analysis support for internal sales teams and their respective consulting clients;
- Prepare plan design and financial analysis for existing and prospective customers by utilizing modeling tools and various reporting techniques;
- Responsible for clients’ benefits marketing process, such as: data acquisition, request for proposal (RFP) preparation, vendor question resolution, proposal review and analysis, and client exhibit and presentation preparation;
- Perform the analysis and negotiation of rates and plan options with insurers on behalf of clients to secure optimal, cost-competitive benefit plans;
- Validate renewals and proposals for accuracy;
- Provide the definition of clients’ employee contribution modeling and strategies;
- Assist with the evaluation, determination and recommendation of alternative coverage, pricing options, and plan design changes based on economic analysis of available plan elements related to client goals;
- Perform various reporting for plan change evaluations, budget and reserve calculations, and other on-going reviews;
- Participate in prospective client data analysis and presentations;
- Participate in special underwriting projects as needed;
- Maintain quality service standards and organization to assure timely service to Trion team;
- Research and remain abreast of the dynamic, competitive insurance environment, new and complex insurance projects, appropriate underwriting techniques and constantly changing legislation that governs business.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Risk Management, Insurance, Actuary, Mathematics and/or other related field is required;
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the Benefits Brokerage, Consulting, or Insurance industry is preferred;
- Intermediate working knowledge of MS Excel is required (i.e. ability to perform pivot tables and intermediate formulas);
- Effective analytical, math and problem solving skills, sound judgment, strong decision making ability, confidence to make difficult decisions and excellent communication skills;
- Must be organized, detail oriented and able to translate big picture ideas into client objectives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational, analytical skills and strong attention to detail;
- Excellent troubleshooting, decision making and problem solving skills;
- Must have strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Must be a goal oriented self-starter
- Solid interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member;
- Ability to multitask and successfully operate in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to follow through on and successfully execute tasks while adhering to specified quality standards;
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and maintain positive relationships with client contacts;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Word (intermediate), Excel (advanced) and Access (intermediate).
- Proficiency in use of PC such as keyboard skills and electronic folder/file organization and management;
- Aptitude for learning internal systems, applications and internal work flow of the department;
- Must be able to effectively interact and deal with people at all levels inside and outside of the company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Frequently required to sit; speak or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, and reach with hands and arms;
- Occasionally required to stand and walk;
- Extensive use of computer and keyboard and viewing of computer screen is required;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Other working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Work is typically performed either on site at Trion’s Conshohocken, PA office, or at various customer/Trion locations as required.