Location: Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, United States
Company: Marsh & McLennan AgencyJob ID R_060741-en Apply
The primary role of the Underwriter is to support the Underwriting and Account Management teams by providing financial analysis and utilizing modeling tools to evaluate benefit programs and their impact on overall business objectives, including the management and control of client risks and losses. This individual will provide comprehensive underwriting services for large employers (3,000+ lives) with a primary focus on absence management, disability, life and accident programs including: basic and supplemental life, basic and voluntary AD&D, FMLA Leave Administration, Salary Continuance/Short Term Disability plan administration and insurance, Statutory Disability and Long Term Disability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Provide general underwriting support for Account Consultants and Sales team;
- Represent and negotiate rates and plan options with insurers for an on behalf of clients to secure optimal, cost-competitive benefit plans;
- Validate renewals and proposals for accuracy;
- Prepare plan design and financial analysis for existing and prospective customers;
- Build and maintain models to assist in the economic analysis of market alternatives;
- Evaluate, determine and recommend alternative coverage and pricing options, and plan design changes based on economic analysis of available plan elements vis-à-vis client circumstances and goals;
- Develop quarterly experience reports for existing clients;
- Collaborate with Account Management team to develop RFPs and on presentations to clients concerning technical rating matters;
- Establish and maintain quality service standards assuring timely service to Trion team;
- Remain abreast of the dynamic, competitive insurance environment, new and complex insurance projects, appropriate underwriting techniques and constantly changing legislation that governs business.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Risk Management & Insurance, Actuary, Mathematics and/or other related field is required;
- Minimum of 3 years Underwriting experience in a Benefits Brokerage, Consulting or Insurance industry required;
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of MS Excel is preferred (i.e. ability to perform pivot tables).
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of MS PowerPoint is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong organizational, analytical skills and strong attention to detail;
- Excellent troubleshooting, decision making and problem solving skills;
- Must have strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Must be a goal oriented self-starter
- Solid interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member;
- Ability to multitask and successfully operate in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to follow through on and successfully execute tasks while adhering to specified quality standards;
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and maintain positive relationships with client contacts;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Word (intermediate), Excel (intermediate) and Access (entry).
- Proficiency in use of PC such as keyboard skills and electronic folder/file organization and management;
- Aptitude for learning internal systems, applications and internal work flow of the department;
- Must be able to effectively interact and deal with people at all levels inside and outside of the company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Frequently required to sit; speak or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, and reach with hands and arms;
- Occasionally required to stand and walk;
- Extensive use of computer and keyboard and viewing of computer screen is required;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Other working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Work is typically performed either on site at Trion’s Conshohocken, PA office, or at various customer/Trion locations as required.