Strategic Solutions Consultant
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Company: MercerJob ID R_054144-en Apply
Mercer’s risk experts, the Strategic Solutions Group (SSG), are looking to hire a talented self-starter to join their Dublin team to support consulting and delivery of strategic risk management advice to our pension and insurance clients on investment, liability management, financial support and risk transfer. The SSG is a small team of c.10 colleagues that carries out project based work for Mercer’s large client base in Ireland and further afield. The team is dynamic and involved in many interesting projects and, as such, the role provides an opportunity for rapid career progression for the right individuals.
This is an opportunity for an individual with a financial services (investment or pensions consulting, insurance or capital markets) background to develop their career as part of an innovative team, recognised for the breadth and depth of its advice and the consistency of its performance. You will have the opportunity to learn from others to strengthen and develop your area of expertise within the risk management space as you build a platform for career growth.
Key role activities overview:
We can offer some flexibility around an individual’s skill set but would expect reasonable coverage of the following areas:
- Support consulting on investment and pension strategy and risk to our largest and most complex clients.
- Support feasibility assessments, design and implementation of solutions for clients;
- Lead analyst teams on specific projects, working with more senior associates, to deliver advice and solutions on insurance investment, risk and capital.
- Produce quantitative modelling analysis and content on the clients’ investment strategy and risk profile and the impact on key financial metrics.
- Understand and consult around complex investment strategies, including the use of derivatives.
- Work with colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds such as liability hedging, insurance, structured finance and other risk transfer solutions.
- Develop relationships with clients, attend client meetings and participate in the delivery of technical advice.
- Attend meetings with specialist fund managers and investment banks to assess any new investment solution being brought into the market.
- Deliver results against own personal and business targets.
Qualification and skills required:
- Nearly/Newly Qualified Actuary or other related professional qualification e.g. CFA.
- Quantitative modelling skills and experience strongly desirable (e.g. in the build / implementation of financial models; and/or via working with Matlab and VBA).
- Risk management knowledge and a desire to develop into a risk strategy focused role for pension schemes and insurance companies.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of market software, e.g. Bloomberg.
- Good understanding of market developments and the key issues facing our clients.
- Awareness of the Solvency II regulatory framework for insurers, and of asset manager products for the insurance sector is desirable.
- Ability to demonstrate business acumen.
- Ability to build strong relationships and networks.
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities, including across different project themes and geographies.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhausted list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Mercer is an equal opportunities employer