Actuarial Consultant- Virtual Opportunity
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Secondary Locations: Indianapolis,Indiana,United States;Milwaukee,Wisconsin,United States;Denver,Colorado,United States;Seattle,Washington,United States;Atlanta,Georgia,United States;Miami,Florida,United States;Houston,Texas,United States;Washington,District of Columbia,United States;Minneapolis,Minnesota,United States;Los Angeles,California,United States;Tampa,Florida,United States;
Company: MercerJob ID R_081738-en Apply
Mercer has an exciting opportunity available and is actively recruiting an experienced Government Healthcare Actuarial Consultant.
What can you expect?
The Government Healthcare Actuarial Consultant will project manage the data modeling process for projects for government sponsored health and welfare programs. Also, this role uses expertise to provide the technical review of data, manages tasks and deadlines and is a resource for the client.
What’s in it for you?
Mercer’s Government Human Services Consulting (GHSC) practice focuses on the unique and challenging needs of the public health care sector, providing a wide array of consulting services to local, state, and federal government agencies across the country. GHSC helps clients achieve better outcomes, develop and deploy defensible strategies, and reshape the delivery of health care. We deliver an individualized focus, powered by industry-leading experience, integrated capabilities and passionate people. GHSC has been partnering with states and other stakeholder organizations for over 34 years to face the demands and pace of change with data-driven pricing, clinically-informed policy and trusted, reliable strategies to manage and deliver care.
To accomplish these challenging and exciting tasks, GHSC brings together a team of highly-skilled and dedicated consultants, clinicians, actuaries, analysts, accountants and pharmacists across four offices in Phoenix, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Washington DC.
To learn more about Mercer’s GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com.
On day one you'll be eligible for medical, dental, and vision care benefits, we also offer employee discounts and other ancillary benefits that are too many to name!
- This position also offers 20 vacation days annually.
- In addition, Mercer has other benefits such as deals on auto and pet insurance, discounts on products and services, and more
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Participate in initial meetings with client or project lead to define the scope of the project
- Provide insight and expertise on defining the data models, including knowledge of the capabilities and flexibility of different models
- Document client calls and capture accurate information to determine project and data scope
- Define and design architecture of data model through the following tasks: evaluate project scope to determine if there is a need to create new data model or use/modify an existing data model; define data architecture based on project scope, insight from the project lead and direction for the project's actuarial advisor; ensure data model architecture captures the full scope of the project, adheres to actuarial best practices and is flexible enough to make future adjustments
- Delegate model updating and/or model building tasks to junior staff. Provide staff clear direction and defined timelines. Share knowledge with junior staff and provide training as needed to complete project tasks. Acts as resource for support staff, answer questions, provide workarounds for obstacles that arise
- Identify data anomalies and exceptions as observed in project deliverables (reports, analysis). Understand the reasons and impacts of data anomalies and exceptions on the analysis in order to explain these issues to senior staff or project lead. Analyze data issues and formulate possible solutions. Communicate data anomalies with project and client team and provide insight, expertise and direction on address issues regarding the data anomalies.
- Project manage multiple tasks on different projects simultaneously
- Organize project work flow and delegate project tasks to junior staff
- Manage the quality and timeliness of project deliverables and ensure client deliverables are client ready
What qualifications are necessary to have for the role?
- BA/BS degree
- 3+ years of industry experience required
- Through understanding of government health and welfare field and general health care concepts
- Knowledge of MS Office Tools. Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel. Intermediate skills in Access. Intermediate skills in PowerPoint
- Must have passed at least one preliminary Society of Actuaries (SOA) exam or a Valuation of Educational Experience (VEE) component, and plan to continue taking exams
What makes you ideal for the role?
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills. Understanding of Actuarial principals and methodologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Ability to partner and lead small teams to deliver project objectives; ability to work independently and on a team
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.