IT Systems Engineer
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Secondary Locations: Chichester,United Kingdom;
Company: MercerJob ID R_052134-en Apply
The Systems Engineer is responsible for the remote support of global servers, including engineering and support aspects of application middleware components.
You will oversee the technical design, development and maintenance of application infrastructure components, as well as maintaining engineering design standards and a stable application infrastructure environment.
Responsibilities will also include:
- Provides on-call rotational production technical support, manages severity level 1 issues and implements change controls as well as contributes to production issue resolution.
- Ensuring implementation and monitoring of applications, including projecting long-range capacity requirements
- Ensures application availability, reliability, stability and documents root cause analysis of all in-scope incidents along with recommended corrective action plans.
- Participate in OS upgrades, application migrations and projects requiring infrastructure implementation and/or changes
- Assist with application releases and processes
- Act as an infrastructure partner on projects, helping to define the infrastructure needs, outlining benefits and addressing issues as they arise
Compliance and Security:
- Perform routine housekeeping and health check monitoring within both RedHat/ Windows Servers and Application environments.
- Respond to security requirements and changes and ensure that they are applied to the systems within area of control
- Assist with audit reviews and ensure audit requirements and changes are met, collaborating with various business and application teams as necessary
Process Improvement Initiatives:
- Identify opportunities for systems enhancements and automation to aid operational efficiencies.
- Identify opportunities for middleware enhancements, performance tuning, server hardening, etc. via automation to aid operational efficiencies
- Contribute to group/team wide improvement initiatives
- Leverage local knowledge and skills to identify further opportunities for improvement
- Ensure ongoing conformances of processes (end user support and operation)
Your skills and experience should include:
- Existing server administration/ systems administration experience
- A degree in computer science, Information Systems Management, or Engineering would be advantageous.
- Comprehensive experience in a RedHat Linux and/or Windows, IIS and .NET based middleware environment
- Demonstrable experience supporting a multi-tiered web environment
- Exposure to cloud computing and containerization
- Working knowledge of SQL and Oracle
- Experience of working across database teams, applications support and other infrastructure teams
- Past exposure to Incident Management/ Change Management
- Experience of web-hosting applications is strongly advantageous
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing technologies and environments as well as containerization (docker)
- A well rounded background in server support, documentation and system administration
Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The company’s more than 60,000 colleagues advise clients in over 130 countries. With annual revenue over $13 billion, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading firms. Marsh advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions. Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities. Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit www.mmc.com, follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @mmc_global or subscribe to BRINK.
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.