Senior Manager Researcher - Equities
Location: London, United Kingdom
Company: MercerJob ID R_044194-en Apply
At Mercer you will be a key part of the wider team of manager research specialists. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a global organization and to be part of the group responsible for recommending investment strategies that are used by Mercer’s clients globally. This role will have a specific focus on providing manager research support to Mercer’s business in the IMETA region (India, Middle East, Turkey and Africa).
The key focus of the role
To evaluate equity investment managers and identify those most capable of delivering strong performance for Mercer’s client portfolios. Key responsibilities will be:
- Set research priorities in the given area of coverage in conjunction with the business needs;
- Co-ordination with external investment management firms to undertake research on specific investment strategies;
- Collation and interpretation of quantitative analysis such as; performance data, peer group analysis, regression analysis, summary views, portfolio holdings analysis and research ratings;
- Lead the preparation for, and attendance of, face to face meetings with investment management firms;
- Compose research documents outlining the strengths and weaknesses of a strategy and making a recommendation based on research;
- Contribute to ad-hoc equity related research projects;
- Representing the manager research process and recommendation to clients and prospects.
The individual in this role will be tasked with the manager research support and services to Mercer’s IMETA business, who provide investment consulting services across the GCC and Middle East regions. As such, the position would predominantly involve researching and recommending strategies relevant to the GCC, Middle East and part South East Asian markets. This could include Global Shariah equity strategies and domestic (Middle East & North Africa-MENA) equity strategies. A focal point would be to expand Mercer’s coverage of global Shariah complaint equity managers and to manage this universe going forward.
This is a key focused role with high profile in the IMETA markets and globally within Mercer, and the successful candidate will be working closely with the IMETA market consultants and business leader, as well as Mercer’s global management research team primarily based in London
Experience skills & attributes
- Preferred CFA or equivalent
- At least 7-years manager research experience at a consulting firm or a large institutional investor. Direct experience of researching equity strategies preferred. Basic understanding of Shariah investing principles preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously to tight deadlines and with multiple stakeholders.
- Investment competence: a strong understanding of a broad range of portfolio management and investment approaches, process and markets, with a focus on equities.
- Technical competence: comfortable with techniques and tools for analyzing investment strategy outcomes, such as: regression analysis, risk models, style analysis, peer group analysis and statistical performance analysis.
- Decisive: must be comfortable making decisions using qualitative analysis supported by some quantitative data, and to defend own point of view in debate.
- Strong written communicator: capable of writing clear, concise and logically argued research reports in a timely manner, sometimes to tight deadlines.
- Strong verbal communicator: confident driving meetings and interviews with leading investment professionals and posing challenging questions.
- Sound intellect: capable of understanding conceptually complex issues and explaining them in terms that others can understand. Intellectually curious.
- Capable of representing Mercer and the research process both internally and externally (including public speaking).
- A team player who can interact with colleagues who are based around the global
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.