Fund Implementation Analyst
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Company: MercerJob ID R_051987-en Apply
The Fund Implementation Analyst will provide broad data and analytical support for all activities that fall under the responsibility of the Head of Fund Implementation. This primarily involves providing analysis on implementation efficiency, fund positioning, assets transitions, data management, risk and oversight across the full suite asset class building blocks funds, including fixed income, equities and alternatives, as required. In this role, you will ultimately contribute to the design and implementations of a best-in-class investment management platform that supports Mercer’s clients. The Fund Implementation Analyst will report to Head of Fund Implementation and work closely with Equity and Fixed Interest Portfolio Managers as well as the broader Pacific Portfolio Management (PM) team as required. Investment Operations will also be an important stakeholder.
Analytical support for Investment Implementation activities: The Implementation Analyst will be responsible for providing active support in improving implementation efficiency, reducing operational risk, minimising implementation leakage and reducing time to execution for the Mercer Funds. In particular, the Analyst will;
- Support the Head of Fund Implementation in the successful implementation of portfolio management decisions, including asset allocation and investment manager changes and asset transitions.
- Coordinate daily portfolio exposure management activities including asset allocation rebalancing, overlay portfolio monitoring, liquidity forecasting and currency exposure monitoring.
- Work closely with investment operations to ensure implementation pipeline is continuously updated and accurate to ensure best-practice implementation of investment decisions.
- Ensure all implementation activities are well managed and communicated.
Fund implementation platform: In the initial period, this will involve participating in project work to design and implement a new Target Operating Model (TOM) for the Pacific Delegated Solutions business. Once complete, the TOM will establish on integrated investment management data and technology platform. The Analysts’ activities are likely to include;
- Participation in discovery and requirements gathering phases
- Participation in design of the target operating model leveraging findings from the discovery.
- Participation in the TOM design, business case & implementation roadmap.
- Participation in the establishment of a data infrastructure that will provide centralised and high quality data that is complete, accurate, timely, accessible and available when required.
Data and Information Delivery: Assist in data collation, data maintenance and data transformation processes and provide data quality assurance and controls. Recognize opportunities to implement continuous improvement to the data management process. Assist in the development of data analytics, information delivery and insights function to support wider Wealth Management business.
Contributing to broader team goals and activities: the Fund Implementation Analyst will collaborate with the broader PM team to work towards a set of common goals, the most important of which is delivering investment outcomes that meet or exceed objectives. From time to time this may mean getting involved in cross-team projects or tasks in order to support the broader team goals. The role may be required to cross-train and provide backup across the full range of team activities, as required.
Qualifications at a Degree level in an appropriate analytical discipline such as finance, economics or mathematics. A suitable post graduate qualification, such as CFA, CIMA or Masters in a relevant discipline would be desirable but not necessary.
- 3 - 5 years investment industry experience
- Experience in portfolio construction for multi-manager portfolios
- Understanding of different approaches to portfolio construction, including passive, active, factor, core and high conviction
- A sound knowledge of investment markets and asset classes
- Strong excel skills, understanding of VBA highly desirable, SQL or Python a plus
Knowledge and skills (general and technical)
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to communicate and interact confidently with other investment professionals, senior staff and other internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Team orientated
- Goal orientated
- An ability to apply good judgement
A positive attitude and a willingness to develop and learn