Senior Tax Advisor
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Company: MercerJob ID R_052786-en Apply
The Senior Tax Adviser will have responsibility for calculating and reviewing tax positions and compliance and reporting requirements of Mercer funds. The Senior Tax Adviser will also assist with review and implementation of tax related policies and processes, custodian oversight and management, coordination of services provided by Mercer’s external tax advisors and work on Mercer’s business and product initiatives. The role is part of a small taxation team providing taxation related services to our Consumer Wealth, Institutional Wealth and Mercer Administration Services clients. The role will report directly to the Wealth Tax Leader.
- Calculating and reviewing tax positions of the Mercer Managed Funds, Superannuation Funds and Mercer Administration Services clients and their reporting requirements.
- Review of tax calculations and reports prepared by the custodian for the Mercer Managed Funds, including distribution calculations and annual return processes. Preparation of year end compliance testing such as AMIT, loss testing, CGT and CFC.
- Working with the custodians on day to day operational matters and restructure work.
- Assist with the review of tax policies, document and review procedures to ensure alignment with tax policies and ensure policy interpretation is reflected in current tax models and practice.
- Assist the tax function with various projects including operational and legislative requirements and discussions with clients and external tax advisers.
- Assist with tax consulting work across various business units, including Fund Accounting, Unit Pricing, Investment Operations etc.
- Research, review and interpret tax legislation in relation to specific tax positions and funds.
- Tertiary qualifications in business, accounting, commerce or a related discipline; CPA or ACA membership;Experience
- 5+ years minimum post qualification experience in tax roles with experience in managing the taxation arrangements of superannuation funds and managed funds
Knowledge and skills (general and technical)
- Strong technical knowledge of superannuation and unit trust accounting, unit pricing and tax matters
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a ‘hands on’ role within in a small team
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with and influence a wide range of stakeholders
- Expertise in developing and maintaining effective stakeholder relationships both internally and externally within a complex environment