Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Company: MercerJob ID R_052783-en Apply
PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN EITHER MELBOURNE OR SYDNEY
The Consumer Wealth Taxation Manager will have responsibility for managing the delivery of regular tax compliance services for the Mercer Superannuation Funds and Mercer’s Administration Services clients (“Funds”). The Consumer Wealth Taxation Manager will also have responsibility for the review and implementation of tax related policies and processes, custodian oversight and management, coordination of services provided by Mercer’s external tax advisors, work on Mercer’s business initiatives and managing various stakeholder relationships. The role is part of a small taxation team providing taxation related services to our Consumer Wealth, Institutional Wealth and Mercer Administration Services clients. The role will report directly to the Wealth Tax Leader.
- Managing & monitoring the Funds’ tax exposures and compliance requirements (income tax, capital gains tax and GST). Ownership of the Funds’ tax positions and reporting requirements, including review of tax alignment calculations, tax provisions, BAS’s and tax returns prepared by Fund Accounting team.
- Ongoing review and management of Funds’ unit pricing tax accruals and DTA positions in line with Board policies and agreed processes.
- Establish and review tax policies, document and review procedures to ensure alignment with tax policies and ensure policy interpretation is reflected in current tax models and practice. Update and implement risk and governance frameworks to mitigate tax risk and ensuring that Funds operate within the requirements of relevant tax policies and procedures.
- Managing key relationships with governing bodies and external advisors.
- Custodian oversight and management to ensure that they are providing appropriate information for income tax and GST purposes, review of Custodian tax policies and conduct of testing of Custodian processes and controls
- Technical support for the various internal stakeholders, such as Fund Accounting, Unit Pricing and Treasury. Report to various Committees and Boards across the business on tax developments and changes.
- Participation in and management of tax related initiatives and projects as required such as new business proposals, new client installations, industry developments etc.
- Tertiary qualifications in business, accounting, commerce or a related discipline;
- CPA or ACA membership;
- 10+years minimum post qualification experience in tax roles with experience in managing the taxation arrangements of superannuation funds
Knowledge and skills (general and technical)
- Strong technical knowledge of superannuation, unit trust accounting and tax matters
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in a ‘hands on’ role within in a small team
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with and influence a wide range of stakeholders
- Expertise in developing and maintaining effective stakeholder relationships both internally and externally within a complex environment