Investment Consulting Senior Associate
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Company: MercerJob ID R_047715-en Apply
Investment Consulting Senior Associate
As an Investment Consulting Senior Associate, you will be responsible to provide a range of investment services to smaller institutional clients such as sponsors and trustees of pension funds (defined benefit and defined contribution), endowments, and other institutional asset pools and supporting our Principals and Partners in providing the same to larger organizations.
- Supervise and peer quantitative and qualitative analysis utilizing Mercer proprietary tools produced by Associates;
- Peer the analysis performed by Associates of investment markets, managers’ investment styles and portfolio characteristics, to evaluate the performance of investment managers and determine the impact of these factors on returns;
- Manage smaller client relationships which includes servicing, identify issues/potential improvements and presenting recommendations under the supervision of Principals and Partners;
- Closely support Principals and Partners in a secondary role in servicing existing large, sophisticated clients and prospects;
- Communicate with investment managers, record keepers and custodians to gather and/or clarify client-specific data for reporting;
- Closely examine and monitor developments at investment management firms and notify clients of critical issues in an accurate and timely manner;
- Plan, supervise and peer investment manager searches and other ad-hoc investment-related projects;
- Participate in asset allocation studies;
- Attend and participate actively in significant client meetings with growing responsibilities over time;
- Help prepare proposals in response to Requests for Proposals;
- Develop the knowledge and skills required to allow progression to a Principal role;
- Demonstrate professionalism and effectiveness when dealing with clients and colleagues at all levels;
- Represent and promote the “face” of Mercer, both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial studies, or related discipline;
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in investment consulting, financial services or pension environment, including time working as a pension actuarial analyst/consultant;
- Enrollment in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program is considered an asset;
- Good knowledge of DB liabilities and pension financial risk management;
- Solid knowledge of the institutional investment industry, understanding of investment concepts and the financial markets;
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral, in English and French);
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to effectively delegate to, and supervise, more junior staff;
- Ability to multi-task, work under tight deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Motivated and willing to learn;
- Proactive and independent
- Overall good technical skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, with a high proficiency in Excel.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Mercer is an equal opportunity employer.