Data Analyst & Product Development Specialist
Location: New York, New York, United States
Company: MarshJob ID R_046374-en Apply
As a global leader in insurance broking and risk management, Marsh helps our clients succeed by defining, designing, and delivering innovative, industry-specific solutions that help them effectively manage risk. We have 27,000 employees worldwide, operations in more than 130 countries, and annual revenue of approximately $5.4 billion, along with comprehensive global expertise that spans 26 industry practices and more than 30 risk and specialty practices.
We are looking for talented professionals to join Marsh’s newly created Digital, Data, and Analytics (DD&A) team. Equipped with the latest digital tools and a growing roster of leading experts, the DD&A team is the digital innovation hub at Marsh responsible for creating next gen insurance products powered by emerging technologies. Recent product launches include the Bluestream digital broker platform and the first proof of insurance blockchain solution.
The Data Analyst & Product Development Specialist will support client integrations within the Small Commercial and Consumer segment of DD&A. This role will be fundamental in creating key reporting and insights for clients on the Bluestream platform and will play a critical part in influencing the innovation, strategy and design of other InsurTech analytics products or capabilities.
Responsibilities: Data Analysis (~70%):
- Interface directly with Marsh brokerage teams, insurance carriers and key clients to collect and validate insurance policy and claims data, analyze large datasets, develop insurance KPI reports, and visualize KPI data
- Work with the Big Data Lake Platform team in the development and maintenance of data ingestion and ETL processes; support data hygiene and establish rules and logic to test/validate/cleanse data
- Provide input to the digital team’s developers/Scrum team, drawing on data analysis to inform KPI calculations and reporting criteria for the development of client dashboards
- Troubleshoot data anomalies and discrepancies that impact dashboard reporting, working with cross-functional teams to resolve quickly and/or proposing changes to ETL systems/data quality processes to fix root causes
- Convert analytical outputs into a structured communication format so that business requirements can be easily interpreted by key stakeholders
Product Development (~30%):
- Deliver end to end solutions for client dashboards and other analytics products using innovative approaches for complex problems
- Work within an agile Scrum framework to:
- ensure a strong customer-centric focus
- develop the product backlog through epics, user stories, spikes, etc.
- define acceptance criteria and verify when they are met
- refine and re-prioritize the product backlog with the delivery teams
- drive sprint and delivery of product features and functionality through collaboration with the Scrum Master and Scrum team
- join Scrum meetings and Sprint Reviews, actively participate in Sprint Retrospective meetings
- Partner with Legal, Compliance, Data Privacy, Finance, Sales, and Marketing teams to execute and ensure alignment on strategic initiatives
- Become an expert in the latest Insurance and InsurTech trends, innovation, (digital) client needs, and competitive landscape
- Minimum four (4) years of work experience, preferably with a background in the insurance industry (incl. underwriting, brokerage, P&C &/or personal lines); data & analytics (incl. database &/or dashboard development, process automation); &/or management consulting
- At least 2 years of experience performing business analysis, to include process, data capture, KPI reporting and analytics
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, information systems, business technology, finance, economics, accounting or another related discipline
- Strong attention to detail; demonstrated analytical skills and proven experience in applying a systematic and disciplined approach to extracting key insights from large datasets
- Proven ability to understand and translate customer requirements/needs when making decisions
- Proven ability to conduct industry/market research, structure ambiguity and extract key insights
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently and as well as part of a team
- Proficient in MS Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, etc.) with the ability to manipulate, extract, analyze and report data
- Exposure and understanding of web technologies, relational databases, data warehousing and ETL tools is a plus
- Knowledge of SQL, QlikView or other technical tool for data manipulation and visualization is a plus
- Experience in working with Agile methodologies and/or defining and launching online/mobile products is a plus
Marsh is a global leader in insurance broking and risk management. In more than 130 countries, our experts in every facet of risk and across industries help clients to anticipate, quantify, and more fully understand the range of risks they face. We work with clients of all sizes to define, design, and deliver innovative solutions to better quantify and manage risk. We offer risk management, risk consulting, insurance broking, alternative risk financing, and insurance program management services to businesses, government entities, organizations, and individuals around the world. To every client interaction we bring an unmatched combination of deep intellectual capital, industry-specific expertise, global experience, and collaboration. Since 1871, clients have relied on Marsh for trusted advice, to represent their interests in the marketplace, make sense of an increasingly complex world, and help turn risks into new opportunities for growth. Our more than 30,000 colleagues work on behalf of our clients, who are enterprises of all sizes in every industry, and include individuals, multinational organizations, and government entities worldwide. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. Visit www.marsh.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @MarshGlobal
Marsh and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliatesare EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.