Oliver Wyman - Data & Analytics Analyst - New York
Location: New York, New York, United States
Company: Oliver WymanJob ID R_086855-en Apply
Oliver Wyman is a global leader in management consulting. With offices in 60 cities across 29 countries, Oliver Wyman combines deep industry knowledge with specialized expertise in strategy, operations, risk management, and organization transformation. Our 5000 professionals help clients optimize their business, improve their operations and risk profile, and accelerate their organizational performance to seize the most attractive opportunities. Oliver Wyman’s thought leadership is evident in our agenda-setting books, white papers, research reports, and articles in the business press. Our clients are the CEOs and executive teams of the top Global 1000 companies.
Visit our website for more details about Oliver Wyman: www.oliverwyman.com
Oliver Wyman is adding an Analyst to our Data & Analytics team, reporting to the Director. In this role you will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining data models and dashboards in tools such as Tableau and Oracle BI. The analyst will also be part of the team supporting the complete lifecycle of data from source transaction systems, ETL’s, datastore, data models, to rich dashboards and visualizations, and ensuring the high quality and integrity of the data and accuracy of dashboards and visualizations. You will help shape the future of what data-driven organizations look like, drive processes for sourcing, analyzing and interpreting data in creative ways.
You will partner with data engineers and business analysts embedded in the businesses and functions, to design and deploy analytics models, solutions, visualizations and story-telling primarily in Tableau, that provide business insights to support strategic decisions. Rather than develop reports which only tell what happened, we seek to create stories with data to unlock hidden insights. Using Tableau, we want to take our users on a journey through their data helping to highlight insights and opportunities.
Our ideal candidate not only understands the technical side of Tableau but is passionate about the field of analytics where they can use their problem-solving skills and creativity to uncover the “Why” for the analysis.
- Design, build, maintain, and optimize data visualizations and other self-service tools to provide actionable insights that enhance business decision making
- Shape best practices in visualization to deliver an excellent end user experience
- Leverage full range of Tableau platform technologies to design and implement production ready solutions and create advanced BI visualizations.
- Perform data analysis and identify business trends that can be turned into actionable insights
- Partner with business stakeholders to define their reporting and analytics needs and develop solutions for delivering against them
- Champion the use of data and analytics technologies to drive efficiencies in the production and consumption of management reporting
- Assist in development and delivery of new data sets, metrics and analytics content to support business strategic decisions.
- Assist with the identification and deployment of efficiencies and enhancements in reporting and analytics
- Assist with the development, training and support of the “analytics community” to ensure awareness and proficiency on tools and available data models
- Champion utilization of business intelligence technology across functional roles throughout the organization
- Provide support and expertise in data and analytics (data sourcing, data preparation and data visualization) to the various analytics teams in their efforts to convert their offline reporting models to the technologies available as part of the data and analytics initiative.
- Set up tools and processes for effective data management.
- Partner with technology groups (data architects) to define data requirements for business intelligence visualizations and tools
- Partner with technology and the various data owners to ensure timeliness and accuracy of the data sets available in the data store
- Partner with the technology groups to ensure timely and accurate delivery of planned enhancements
- Participate in the on-going development of the business intelligence and data warehousing functions within the wider organization
- Bachelors / MS in a quantitative discipline e.g., applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, information systems, econometrics, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in business analytics and business support functions
- 3+ years of experience working with Tableau software to design, develop, and deploy business dashboards (Tableau Desktop, Tableau Server and Tableau Data Prep.)
- Experience in managing/maintaining Tableau sites and projects ensuring a consistent design, deployment, and maintenance process is followed.
- Experience in Agile delivery methodology in a data and analytics context
- Deep understanding of data warehouse processes, dimensional modeling and ETL/Integration
- Knowledge of industry standard Business Intelligence (BI) tools, such as: Oracle (OBIEE), Business Objects, etc.
- Experience with statistical programming (R, SAS, and/or Python), a plus
- Experience with multiple RMDB’s such as SQL Server, Oracle
- Strong Excel, PowerPoint skills
- Must have unrestricted work authorization for the U.S. without sponsorship.
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills required
- Ability to drive exploration and draw conclusions from multiple data sets
- Strong spirit of innovation, self-starter, independent, and with ability to come up with solutions to meet business problems
- Self-directed who can interpret data to understand trends and derive meaningful business insights for senior executives with little oversight
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently while also enjoying collaboration with cross-functional teams and other analysts
- Strong desire to learn new skills and pass knowledge acquired onto others
- Keen attention to detail with deep quantitative and analytical skills and demonstrated capacity to solve problems and enhance reporting
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to build alignment among customers and key stakeholders with demonstrated experience influencing without authority
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, deadline driven, highly dynamic atmosphere and react quickly to changes and shifting priorities.
- Effective communication skills and ability to translate numbers into a story
- You need to be curious by nature, understand how data is produced in our various underlying systems and how reporting and analytics content is compiled so that data can be turned into actionable business insights to support the firm’s strategy