Health Actuarial Consultant
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Company: MercerJob ID R_043669-en Apply
Are you excited and ready for an opportunity to be an integral part of the Mercer Health Actuarial and Financial team? We're a hard-working, but fun-loving team with growth opportunity!
The Health & Benefits (H&B) Actuarial Consultant will provide analysis on various actuarial/financial projects for pricing of medical, dental, vision, life and disability programs. This position also mentors more junior actuarial staff and oversees their basic actuarial work. To fulfill this role, the Actuary will:
· Perform basic actuarial functions including pricing, budgeting, experience reporting, and reserving, for a variety of health, life, and disability plans
· Analyze cost drivers by reviewing client's cost/utilization data and looking for year-over-year trends or comparisons to external benchmarks
· Project retiree medical costs and develop retiree medical liabilities for the client’s accounting purposes
· Price and evaluate medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life and disability plan designs; develop employee contribution scenarios; analyze vendor renewals; conduct compliance analyses pertaining to the Affordable Care Act, Medicare Part D, and other regulations;
· Assist in the development of new actuarial methods, software models, and other intellectual capital by using data mining, programming, or advanced model construction techniques
· Collaborate with a diversity of colleagues; oversee the work of junior analysts; provide mentorship and training to others on an as-needed basis
· Manage the quality and timeliness of client deliverables; participate in client presentations; develop professional relationships with clients and vendors;
To be successful in this role, our ideal candidate will have:
· BA/BS degree
· At least 3 years’ health benefits or relevant actuarial experience required
· Strong analytical and mathematical skills; strong command of Excel
· Industry experience with VBA, R, or Python programming preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work independently and on a team
· Must have passed at least one preliminary Society of Actuaries (SOA) exam
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers