Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Secondary Locations: Ottawa,Ontario,Canada;
Company: MercerJob ID R_053925-en Apply
Principal duties of the Pension Lawyer:
Mercer’s Canada Law and Tax Practice (CLTP) employs lawyers in our Toronto office and other Canadian cities. CLTP develops intellectual capital and provides legal services to Mercer’s Canadian and global clients. The position we are filling is for a lawyer to be located in the Toronto office; however, location in another Canadian Mercer office is also possible (if desired by the candidate). The successful candidate will use his or her knowledge of pension and benefits law and relevant tax and employment law, while working side-by-side with other Mercer lawyers, actuaries and consultants.
At Mercer, you can use and develop your legal skills while also attaining an in-depth understanding of the pension and benefits industry and being involved with clients’ business decisions. This role will typically include activities and responsibilities such as:
- Advising internal and external clients and liaising with other Mercer professionals, regulatory agencies and service providers.
- Drafting and reviewing plan amendments, plan texts, board resolutions, client and regulatory letters and other documentation including employee communication materials.
- Analyzing and researching issues involving pensions, benefits, tax, employment, privacy, trusts and other substantive areas of law.
- Developing and managing the delivery of services to internal and external clients.
- Assisting with internal and external publications of technical advice and industry developments.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in the pension and benefits field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external clients.
Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations meet the health, wealth and career needs of a changing workforce. Mercer’s more than 22,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With more than 60,000 colleagues and annual revenue over $13 billion, through its market-leading companies including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information, visit www.mercer.com. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, pension, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company please visit us at www.mmc.com
We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, Mercer will provide a reasonable accommodation to employees and prospective employees to the point of undue hardship upon request and as required in respect of the individual’s particular restrictions and limitations. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, feel free to contact Rachel.st-Laurent@mmc.com