US Retirement ERISA Attorney
Location: New York, New York, United States
Secondary Locations: Washington,District of Columbia,United States;
Company: MercerJob ID R_052689-en Apply
Mercer’s Law & Policy Group (L&P) is seeking an experienced attorney to (i) develop excellent, market-differentiating written intellectual capital on key US retirement, investment and financial wellbeing topics (particularly involving 401(k) and other defined contribution plans) for Mercer consultants and clients, and (ii) work with consultants and clients on issues calling for expert legal assistance on these topics.
L&P is a team of lawyers, actuaries and technical experts who analyze health, wealth and global legislative, regulatory, judicial and government relations issues. The team provides expert analyses to consultants and clients on a variety of US, state and global compliance and policy matters.
The candidate will develop top-caliber intellectual capital on highly complex retirement, investment and financial wellbeing legislation, regulations, court cases, plan design, compliance, and governance topics. This position requires excellent legal/technical research and analysis capabilities, great technical writing capabilities, the ability to work successfully with experts and non-experts to help identify and address complex legal issues, and the ability to work quickly under pressure. The ideal candidate will be committed to doing great work at a high level of engagement, detail, and thoughtfulness. The candidate will have a passion for continuously learning and improving, effectively analyzing and communicating developments and insights, and regularly exceeding consultants’ and clients’ expectations.
The candidate will:
- Stay current on key US retirement and investment issues (particularly those relating to 401(k) and other defined contribution plans) via key sources and publications (e.g., government, newspapers, magazines, journals, reports, books) and other resources (e.g., websites, networks, people) for content about specified topics, including legislation, regulations, administrative guidance, court decisions, and other sources of legal/regulatory guidance.
- Develop market-differentiating summaries, reports and analyses about the content relevant to consultants and clients.
- Develop (with other experts) in-depth analyses of and insightful, practical implications relating to key developments and topics within area of expertise.
- Work with consultants on client tasks and projects calling for legal expertise to identify and resolve complex legal and technical issues, particularly those for which there are not clear answers.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least seven years of experience on US retirement, investment and financial wellbeing topics, including strong tax law knowledge
- Experience preparing articles, presentations, classroom sessions, and/or other forms of intellectual capital
- Experience working with corporate clients
- Law degree
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, proactivity, and innovation capabilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate technically complex developments, issues, and analyses in easy-to-understand and actionable ways
- Able to see the big picture from scattered and complex pieces of information and distill and communicate key implications and insights
- Comfortable working with uncertainty and ambiguity, with balancing compliance and business risks, and with moving forward proactively and confidently
- Organized, accurate and detail-oriented
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Able to meet tight deadlines and prioritize a varied workload in a fast-paced, unpredictable, and demanding environment
- Willing to learn new skills, expand knowledge of subject areas, and adapt to technological and business changes
- Honest, direct, and comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback during the writing process
Strongly prefer the person taking this position to be based in Washington DC or New York City metro area. Potential office locations are Washington DC, New York, NY and Princeton, NJ.
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.