Datacenter Network Engineer
Location: Westlake, Texas, United States
Company: Marsh & McLennan CompaniesJob ID R_040000-en Apply
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of network infrastructure in a fast-paced datacenter environment. This includes the initiation, management, implementation, and delivery of new network solutions into one of our regional datacenters. Projects will range from small to very large and complex network deployments with significant technical and logistical requirements. The candidate will act as an owner/leader for all network/telecom deliverables in the Westlake datacenter, which may requiring coordination with resources outside of the network teams.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Designs enterprise solutions for iterative projects using engineering standards and best practices. Produce relevant design documentation.
- Develops a comprehensive implementation approach and playbooks for bringing solutions and/or services into production.
- Performs all pre-configuration, pre-production staging/testing, POC & Pilot activities.
- Deploys solution infrastructure according to defined rack elevations, providing the necessary network cabling/connectivity.
- Completes all configurations needed to bring the infrastructure or service live into the production environment. Coordinates deployments will all appropriate stakeholders.
- Conducts all required testing, document results, and provides production certification. Performs design reviews with peers as needed.
- Updates documentation to reflect “as-built” design. Conducts review meeting and operational turnover with the operations teams.
- Monitors incident queues, and takes ownership for troubleshooting and resolving issues within the datacenter as required.
- Performs tier-III or deep-dive analytics (forensic analysis, packet captures, etc.) to identify root cause for all elusive issues.
- Participates with Level-3 incident management activities and assists the operations teams with technical troubleshooting and on-site/hands-on support (where applicable) during major incidents and outages.
- Provides Cross-Team/Cross-Tower support.
- Provides technical support to other technology teams as requested.
- Obtains quotes for new hardware needs and submits orders into the requisitioning system.
- Provides input to the annual budgeting process by submitting project budget proposals with projected costs.
- Develops remediation plans for issues & risks, escalating to PMO when appropriate.
- Manages operational ticketing queues: changes, incidents, problems and service requests.
- Manages internal team/peer resources with deliverables supporting delivery.
- Manages scheduling and coordination of external resources (vendors) that are dependencies for deliverables.
- Follows best practice project management including approach, certification, back out strategies and approvals.
- Provide knowledge transfer and training to junior level staff
- Manages the development, documentation and implementation of operating procedures, and systems documentation such as config templates, best practices, knowledge base, and disaster recovery backup/recovery.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/MIS, or equivalent work experience
- Network certifications are desirable
- 10+ years of experience with senior level support in an enterprise network environment
- 5+ years supporting network infrastructure in an enterprise datacenter
- 5+ years of managing large-scale network projects
- Demonstrated experience supporting an enterprise datacenter environment that includes Cisco’s Nexus products and technologies: N7K, N9K, N5K, N2K), NX-OS, Virtual Device Contexts, Virtual Port Channels, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERTISE & SKILLS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills required to interpret, resolve, and document networking problems
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to articulate system methodologies and concepts; communicate effectively in providing technical guidance and expertise to other staff
- Must be physically capable of installing/removing heavy equipment from racks and operating typical power tools and equipment.
- Advanced working knowledge for configuration & implementation of Cisco, F5, Riverbed, Arista, is essential
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP and routing protocols (BGP & EIGRP)
- Strong troubleshooting and packet capture/decode skills are a must-have
- Have practical working knowledge and/or expertise with industry standard nentwork technologies and protocols: IPSec/VPN/DMVPN, GRE/mGRE, NHRP, HSRP, LACP, PAGP, DOT1Q, NAT/PAT, DHCP, AAA/TACACS/RADIUS, RSTP/PVST/STP, VLANs, FTP/SFTP, SSH, TFTP, DNS, CIDR, ARP, fiber optics, DWDM, VPN, DMVPN, MPLS, access lists, routemaps, packet capture/analysis, Netflow, WCCP, VoIP, encryption, network segmentation,
- Demonstrates strong knowledge with a broad spectrum of F5 technologies: Load Balancing, iRules, iApps, Local Traffic Manager, Access Policy Manager, certificates
- Familiar with ITIL methodologies
- The following are also desirable:
- Knowledge of AWS and Azure deployments & archiecture
- Experience with architecture, design, configuration & support of SD-WAN
- Experience configuring network automation with Ansible
- Network management & diagnostic instrumentation (Spectrum, NetBox, Extrahop)
Marsh & McLennan Companies is a global professional services firm offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and people. Marsh is a leader in insurance broking and risk management; Guy Carpenter is a leader in providing risk and reinsurance intermediary services; Mercer is a leader in talent, health, retirement and investment consulting; and Oliver Wyman is a leader in management consulting. With annual revenue of $13 billion and approximately 60,000 colleagues worldwide, Marsh & McLennan Companies provides analysis, advice and transactional capabilities to clients in more than 130 countries. The Company is committed to being a responsible corporate citizen and making a positive impact in the communities in which it operates. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity. Visit www.mmc.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @MMC_Global
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.